Celebrate Opera Week 2019
Calendar of Events
Opera America compiled an amazing list of Opera Week and Day events from around the world!
Visit here to view!
# # # #
WHEN: Friday, October 23, 7:00 PM
WHAT: Live Encore: Global Collaboration, Missa Luba
Join ROS for a Live Encore broadcast of the Rochester Oratorio Society’s performance of Missa Luba, by Guido Haazen, which was part of our Global Collaboration concert. RSVP and view the live broadcast on Facebook Live.
# # # #
WHEN: 7:30 PM, Friday, October 23; 3:00 PM, Sunday, November 1
WHAT: The Eastman School of Music presents the Choral Department Concerts. William Weinert, conductor
# # # #
WHEN: October 23-25
WHAT: Join the World Opera Day celebrations!
OperaVision is showing contrasting versions of Fidelio by Beethoven, the genius of musical creativity who embodies the humanitarian message of universal brotherhood.
- 23 October 19:00 CET: The recent semi-staged version from Garsington Opera recorded in September 2020 and starring Katherine Broderick, Toby Spence and the Philharmonia Orchestra
- 24 October 17:00 CET: World premiere of a short animated version commissioned by OperaVision and WALPURGIS
- 24 October 18:00 CET: Following Fidelio live online discussion moderated by director Gitika Buttoo and featuring conductor Douglas Boyd, singer Toby Spence, director Graham Vick, writer Sarah Woods, director Judith Vindevogel and animator Roman Klochkov
- 24 October 19:00 CET: Graham Vick’s promenade production staged at the heart of an inner-city community by Birmingham Opera Company
The weekend culminates in a joyous, global musical jamboree from across the globe:
World Opera Day Celebration Concerts bringing together 6 continents in 4 acts and time zones:
Act 1 15:00 Tokyo time (07:00 CET)
Act 2 15:00 Moscow time (13:00 CET)
Act 3 15:00 London time (16:00 CET)
Act 4 15:00 New York time (20:00 CET)
Opera Europa, Opera America and Opera Latinoamérica, in collaboration with Opera for Peace, will offer vocal performances from six continents including, from among others: Denyce Graves, Hera Hyesang Park, Luca Pisaroni, Sondra Radvanovksy, Isabel Leonard, Brian Jagde, Elsa Dreisig, Golda Schultz and Nicole Car, and emerging artists Raehann Bryce-Davis, Vuvu Mpofu, Victoria Karkacheva, Julia Mennibaeva, William Guanbo Su, Leonardo Sánchez, and many others.
NOTE: If you want to join the festivities, here's a handy website to translate the CET (central European times) into your local time. So grab your popcorn and enjoy the shows!
# # # #
WHEN: October 24-December 5
WHAT: Shea’s Performing Arts Center is one of a select group of theaters participating in a three-part virtual concert series, Live from the West Side: Women of Broadway featuring two-time Tony Award-winner Patti LuPone on October 24, Tony Award-winner Laura Benanti on November 14, and critically-acclaimed actress and singer Vanessa Williams on December 5.
# # # #
WHEN: October 25, all day
WHAT: World Opera Day on Social Media
World Opera Day is an international collaboration between OPERA America, Opera Europa, and Ópera Latinoamérica to showcase the many ways that opera companies and artists enrich the livelihood and civic fabric of communities around the world.
This social media initiative is an opportunity for the industry’s administrators, artists, trustees, and audiences to share with newcomers how their local opera companies, their personal practices, and the art form itself contribute to making a better society.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE:
- Find meaningful content that features how opera companies and artists interact with and contribute to their local communities.
- Post to social media and share dynamic visuals, videos, or interactive content to engage audiences and the opera-curious.
- Use #worldoperaday to concentrate the message, increase post visibility, and expand audience reach.
- Tag @OPERAAmerica and others to participate in the conversation, share posts, and increase engagement.
You can also apply a World Opera Day Facebook frame to your personal or company profile picture.
HOW: To learn more about this international initiative, visit worldoperaday.com.
# # # #
WHEN: 2:00 PM, Sunday, October 25
WHAT: The Fredonia School of Music presents the Faculty Recital: Aurora Deeds, soprano and Leonidas Lagrimas, piano
Join School of Music Faculty members Aurora Deeds, soprano, and Leonidas Lagrimas, piano, as they present a recital of works by Bach, Handel, Mozart, Donaudy, Chausson, Berlioz, and Porter. The program includes themes on lost loves and texts by Shakespeare, and features pieces from Mozart's Mass in C Minor and Handel's Samson.
# # # #
WHEN: 11:00 AM, Tuesday October 27
WHAT: Canadian Opera Company presents Key Change: Episode 1
Co-hosted by classical singer and culture critic Robyn Grant-Moran (a member of the COC’s Indigenous Circle of Artists) alongside COC Director/Dramaturg-in-Residence Julie McIsaac, the COC’s new podcast explores the operagoing experience from a kaleidoscope of perspectives, with special guests from the opera field and beyond. The first season explores what it’s like to attend the opera for the very first time, from the experience of being at the opera house to how an opera gets made and staged.
# # # #